Akagera National Park is located in the north east of Rwanda along the border with Tanzania. Although founded in 1934, much of the park was re-allocated as farms and in 1997 the park was reduced in size from more than 2,500 sq km (nearly 10% of the surface area of Rwanda) to its current extent of 1,122 sq km. Since 2010, a joint venture with African Parks has seen Akagera return to its former glories.
It is named after the Akagera River that flows along its eastern boundary and feeds into a labyrinth of lakes of which the largest is Lake Ihema. The forest fringed lakes, papyrus swamps, savannah plains and rolling highlands combine to make Akagera amongst the most scenic of reserves anywhere in Africa. It has exceptional levels of biodiversity and forms the largest protected wetland in central Africa.
Covering over 1000 square kilometers, Nyungwe National Park is surely one of the world’s most beautiful and pristine mountain rainforests. It’s believed to be one of Africa’s oldest forests, staying green even through the Ice Age, which explains its diversity.
Home to habituated chimpanzees and 12 other primate species (including a 400-strong troop of habituated Ruwenzori Black & White Colobus), it’s also a birder’s paradise with over 300 species, including 16 endemics, and is home to 75 different species of mammal.
The “Parc National des Volcans” French for Volcanoes National Park (or PNV as it’s known by locals) lies along the Virunga Mountains, with 8 ancient volcanoes, which are shared by Rwanda, Uganda and the Democratic Republic of Congo. Just a short two hour drive from Rwanda’s capital of Kigali, the park is a central location for exploring some distinctly Rwandan experiences. While a visit to the mountain gorillas is often at the top of visitor’s list, the dramatic landscape also offers thrilling hiking and visits to the fascinating golden monkeys.
Trek Gorilla Safaris connects discerning travelers with top best travel agents who compete to customize your luxury trips. You get:
- Quality service at best value
- Authentic travel experiences
- Expert destination advice
Popular Rwanda Gorilla Trekking Packages
- 3 Day Rwanda Gorilla Tour
- 4 Day Rwanda Gorilla & Chimpanzee Tour
- 4 Day Rwanda Gorilla Trekking Tour
- 4 Day Rwanda Gorilla & Cultural Tour
- 4 Day Rwanda Gorilla Trekking Special
- 4 Day Rwanda Gorilla Trekking & Kivu Tour
- 5 Day Rwanda Gorilla & Golden Monkey Safari
- 5 Day Rwanda Gorilla & Chimps Tour
- 6 Day Rwanda Gorilla & Chimps Tour
- 7 Day Best of Rwanda Tour
- 7 Day Rwanda Highlights Tour
- 7 Day Rwanda Gorilla & Chimpanzee Tour
- 7 Day Incredible Rwanda Tour
- 9 Day Rwanda Gorilla Trek & Wildlife Tour
- 11 Day Rwanda Special Tour
- 13 Day Incredible Rwanda Tour
- 20 Day Rwanda Complete Tour
BEST TIME TO GO
Gorilla Viewing: Gorilla trekking can take place at any time of year with April/May and November being wetter. However, be aware that rain occurs all year round. For general game viewing safaris, the best time to go is during the dry season (between June and September).
Uganda – Rwanda Combined Tour Packages
- 4 Day Rwanda-Uganda Gorillas Tour
- 5 Day Rwanda-Uganda Gorilla Special
- 5 Day Amazing Rwanda – Uganda Gorilla Tour
- 7 Day Rwanda – Uganda Gorilla & Wildlife Tour
- 7 Day Rwanda – Uganda Highlights Tour
- 9 Day Rwanda – Uganda Discovery Tour
- 10 Day Rwanda – Uganda Magical Tour
- 9 Day Rwanda – Uganda Gorillas & Wildlife Safari
- 10 Day Uganda – Rwanda Amazing Tour
- 10 Day Uganda – Rwanda Highlights Tour
- 12 Day Best of Rwanda – Uganda Tour
- 13 Day Incredible Rwanda – Uganda Tour
- 12 Day Rwanda Uganda Best Tour
- 12 Day Primates & Wildlife Tour in Rwanda – Uganda
- 13 Day Uganda – Rwanda Discovery Tour
- 19 Day Best of Uganda-Rwanda Safari
- 19 Days Uganda Rwanda Gorilla Trekking & Wildlife Safari
- 19 Day Uganda – Rwanda Great Adventure Tour